The Cedar Shake and Shingle Bureau is a non-profit organization that promotes the use of Certi-labelTM cedar roofing and sidewall products. On June 9, 1915, at a meeting of the Trustees of the West Coast Lumber Manufacturers Association, it was agreed to establish a branch of the association to serve those members who manufactured shingles. Our influence grew, and as we survived both the Great Depression and World War II, manufacturers continued their quality commitment. In 1963 the organization merged with the Handsplit Shake Bureau to become the Red Cedar Shingle & Handsplit Shake Bureau.
Manufacturers' product lines continued to broaden and, in 1988, the members changed the organization's name to the Cedar Shake & Shingle Bureau. In the late 1980s, mill quality control inspections were subcontracted to independent, third party quality control agencies.
Each year the Cedar Shake & Shingle Bureau's staff answer thousands of technical questions and product selection queries. Offering informed Certi-Wood® advice the responsibility for educating the public and building code officials falls on the CSSB. Owing to knowledgeable staff, the Cedar Shake & Shingle Bureau has earned the distinction as the recognized industry authority.